Pancakes with Mushrooms, Bacon & (most importantly Cheese Filling.
Makes 8 pancakes.
Ingredients for Pancakes
1 large free-range egg
1 cup of self-raising flour
1 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
Teaspoon of sunflower oil
Ingredients for Filling:
10 Mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
2 tomatoes diced
Cheddar Cheese, grated (lots!)
Chopped fresh Chives to garnish
1. To make the batter, crack the egg into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the flour, milk and a tiny pinch of sea salt and sunflower oil.
3. Whisk everything together until you have a lovely, smooth batter.
4. Put aside and cook the filling.
5. Heat a pan with some butter and oil, sauté the mushrooms. Add some cream, approx. 100ml. Then add the diced tomatoes and diced cooked bacon. Take off the heat.
Cooking the Pancakes:
6. Put a large frying pan on a medium heat and after a minute or so, add ½ tablespoon of oil *(sunflower or Irish rapeseed oil works well as it gets really hot). Tilt the pan to spread the oil out.
7. Add a ladle of batter to the pan, and tilt to spread out.
8. Cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes, or until little bubbles appear on the surface and the bases are golden, then use a fish slice to carefully flip them over.
9. When the pancakes are golden on both sides, use a fish slice to transfer the pancakes to a warm plate. (To keep warm put on a warmed plate over a bowl of boiling water with a tea towel on top).
10. Fill the pancake and sprinkle with plenty of grated cheddar on top, garnish with chives. Serve with rocket salad. YUM!