Super Bowl Sunday Mac ‘n Cheese
450g (1lb) macaroni pasta
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1.2 litres (2 pints) full-fat milk, warmed
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 heaped tsp English mustard powder or ½ tsp of mustard
450g (1lb) The Little Milk Company Organic Vintage Cheddar, grated
Dry breadcrumbs (tossed in a little melted butter, for sprinkling)
8 rashers of streaky bacon, grilled until crisp, chopped to serve
1. Cook the macaroni until al dente, drain, toss in a little butter and place in a casserole dish. To make roux, melt the butter over a medium heat. Turn down the heat slightly and add the flour, then cook, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes.
2. Off the heat, pour a little of the milk into the roux and mix to a creamy consistency. Place the pan back on the heat and in a steady stream pour in the rest of the milk, stirring until thick.
3. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, mustard and grated cheese, mixing well. Return to the heat and stir continuously until the cheese has melted. Pour the sauce over the macaroni in the casserole dish and stir to ensure the pasta is coated.
4. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and bake in an oven preheated to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for 15 minutes. Before serving top with chopped bacon.
5. Sit down with large bowl and enjoy the Super Bowl!